Renting your home

We have a range of purpose-built retirement properties across the whole of England.

Each property is self contained and you have your own front door. Most of our properties have some communal facilities and a manager on site to support you in living independently. Depending on your needs, you may want to choose one of our Retirement Living or Extra Care Living schemes; both are designed to allow you to live the life you want to lead, with support when you need it.

The benefits of renting with Housing 21 include:

  • Independence; the privacy and security of your own home
  • Peace of mind; 24 hour emergency call system plus a manager on most sites
  • A range of communal facilities which may include a residents' lounge, gardens, guest rooms and a laundry
  • We are responsible for most repairs
  • Easy to apply and take up a tenancy, with no administration fees
  • Affordable rents and service charges
  • Homeswapper service: residents can exchange properties with other Housing 21 residents or those from other social landlords (you can find out more information on the Homeswapper website)
  • Extra Care Living properties may also include a café/ bistro, hair salon, activity room and buggy storage room.

  • Am I eligible?
    • You need to be at least 55 years old, although priority will always be given to people over 65
    • You must be actively looking to move
    • You need to be able to live independently with support
    • You need to be able to afford the rent and service charges and be able to pay by Direct Debit (depending on your circumstances you may get Housing Benefit to help with the charges)
    • For Extra Care Living properties, you need to qualify for a care package / be in receipt of care. Some local authorities have their own rules that may also apply
    • We have a small number of learning disability and mental health support properties in Kent – they each have their own eligibility criteria
    • You can find out more in our Lettings Policy.
  • How do I apply?
    • Most of our Extra Care Living properties are allocated jointly with the local authority. To find out more please contact the court directly  
    • Most Retirement Living properties are allocated from our waiting lists although some properties are advertised through the local authority lettings schemes. To find out more please contact the court directly
    • To join the waiting list you can apply online on your computer, mobile device or tablet or print and complete the application form
    • If you know which court you would like to apply for please send the form directly to the court. If not please send it to our Head Office stating the area you are interested in.
    • All of our Retirement Living properties in Kent are advertised through Kent Home Choice you can find out more here 
    • All of our Retirement Living properties in Oldham are advertised through Housing Options Oldham here.

  • Where are your properties?
    • We have properties across England and in the Isle of Wight and Guernsey
    • You can search for details here.
  • What type of properties do you have?
    • Most of our properties are either one or two bedroom apartments, or studios
    • We have a small number of three bedroom apartments and one and two bedroom bungalows
  • Can I do a mutual exchange?
    • Yes. Residents can exchange properties with other Housing 21 residents, or with residents from other social landlords
    • Residents must not move before the exchange has been approved
    • Residents need to find their own exchange.
      Housing 21 residents can advertise and look for other residents who wish to exchange on the mutual exchange website Homeswapper. It's free for Housing 21 residents.
Our services

We have two distinct service offers:

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size