Renting your home
We have a range of purpose built retirement properties across the whole of England.
Each property is self contained and you have your own front door. Most of our properties have some communal facilities and a manager on site to support you to live independently. Depending on your needs you may want to choose one of our Retirement Living or Extra Care Living schemes, both are designed to allow you to live the life you want to lead with support when you need it.
The benefits of renting with Housing 21 include:
- Independence – the privacy and security of your own home
- Peace of mind – 24 hour emergency call system plus a manager on most sites
- A range of communal facilities which may include a residents lounge, gardens, guest rooms and a laundry
- We are responsible for most repairs
- Easy to apply and take up a tenancy, with no administration fees
- Affordable rents and service charges
- Extra Care Living properties may also include a café/ bistro, hair salon, activity room and buggy storage room.
Am I eligible?
- You need to be at least 55 years old although priority will always be given to people over 65 years
- You must be actively looking to move
You need to be able to live independently with support
- You need to be able to afford the rent and service charges and be able to pay by Direct Debit (depending on your circumstances you may get Housing Benefit towards the charges)
- For Extra Care Living properties you need to qualify for a care package / be in receipt of care
Some local authorities have their own rules that may also apply
- We have a small number of learning disability and mental health support properties in Kent – they each have their own eligibility criteria
- You can find out more in our Lettings Policy (link to the policy)
How do I apply?
- Most of our Extra Care Living properties are allocated jointly with the local authority. To find out more please contact the court directly
- Most Retirement Living properties are allocated from our waiting lists although some properties are advertised through the local authority lettings schemes. To find out more please contact the court directly
- To join the waiting list you can apply online on your computer, mobile device or tablet or print and complete the application form
- If you know which court you would like to apply for please send the form directly to the court. If not please send it to our Head Office stating the courts you are interested in.
- All of our Retirement Living properties in Kent are advertised through Kent Home Choice you can find out more here
- All of our Retirement Living properties in Oldham are advertised through My Move Oldham you can find out more here
Where are your properties?
- We have properties across England and in the Isle of White and Guernsey
- You can search for details here
What type of properties do you have?
- Most of our properties are either one and two bedroom apartments or studios
- We have a small number of three bedroom apartments and one and two bedroom bungalows
Can I do a mutual exchange?
- Yes residents can exchange properties with other Housing 21 residents or with residents from other social landlords
- Residents must not move before the exchange has been approved
- Residents need to find their own exchange
Housing 21 residents can advertise and look for other residents who wish to exchange on the mutual exchange website Homeswapper. Its free for Housing 21 residents
We have two distinct service offers: