Case Study - Summergate Lodge
With current stock in the area being mainly traditional style “sheltered housing” there was a strong desire to create a more aspirational option for Eastleigh’s older residents.
- Development Type: Retirement Living
- Local Authority Partner: Eastleigh Borough Council
- Developer/Contractor: Highwood Construction
- Architect: HGP Architects
- Start on Site: November 2019
- Practical Completion: July 2021
- Property Type: 26 apartments including 14 for social rent and 12 for shared ownership
They wanted to free up larger properties for families in the town by developing attractive housing for older people and incentivising residents to make the move. The local authority approached us to help them develop a solution.
As the development included retail units within the design, there were complexities involved in leases and contracts between the various parties. A suite of legal contracts was drawn up including a development agreement, commercial lease, sale contract and JCT Design & Build contract.
Summergate Lodge welcomed its first residents in summer 2021 who are now enjoying their new lifestyle in this beautiful scheme.
“I am delighted to see this new retirement housing scheme which will provide independent living for our older residents and provides another important part of the evolving community at North Stoneham. The new flats will provide affordable homes for rent and shared ownership.”
Cllr Tina Campbell, Cabinet Lead for Social Policy