Who can do a Mutual Exchange?

Starter Tenants do not have the right to do a mutual exchange they must wait until their tenancy converts to an assured tenancy.

Housing 21 Assured and Secure tenants can do a mutual exchange with a

  • Housing Association tenant with an assured tenancy or a secure tenancy
  • Council tenant with a secure tenancy or a flexible tenancy
  • Housing Association tenant with a fixed term assured shorthold tenancy of more than two years.

They can not do a mutual exchange with a

  • A Housing Association tenant with a starter tenancy
  • A council tenant with an introductory or demoted tenancy
  • A person who rents a hostel room from a council
  • A person who rents from a private landlord
  • A person whose home is provided in connection with their job
  • A shared ownership resident

Mutual exchanges usually involve two parties however there are no limits to the number of tenants that can be involved in the home-swap chain.  

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size