Extra Care Living

Extra Care Living

Extra Care offers independent living with access to on-site care if and when you need it.


Living in your own self-contained, fully accessible and modern home enables you to maintain your independence whilst benefiting from optional care and support packages that are tailored to your needs. Pets are more than welcome too!

The benefits of living in Extra Care include:

  • The privacy and security of your own home
  • A dedicated Housing and Care or Housing Manager
  • On-site care team 24/7
  • A 24 hour emergency alarm
  • An impressive range of communal facilities
Life at an Extra Care court
Meadowfields 130
Your independence

Our Extra Care schemes are called 'courts', and are made up of one and two bedroom apartments or bungalows, or a mix of both. You'll enjoy the privacy of your own self-contained property, and have full access to a range of communal facilities. You’ll have the freedom to choose whether you cook in your own kitchen or eat in the café / bistro, whether you socialise with other residents or enjoy your own privacy.

Meadowfields 77
On-site care and support

Any care and support you receive will be built around you and delivered in your own home. You may be living with a spouse, partner or family member who has additional care needs, allowing you both to continue to live together. Our highly trained staff are committed to providing a professional service. There is a care team on-site 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide you with care whether it is planned or in an emergency.

Extra Care Living
Alice Bye Court (5)
Buying an Extra Care apartment

You can buy an apartment even if you don’t currently need care. Many of our Extra Care residents buy their home so that any future care needs can easily be met without too much upheaval. If you buy one of our properties under shared ownership, you can purchase from 25% to 75% of the full market value. You may pay a rental charge for the un-purchased share, and you will also pay a service charge that goes towards the upkeep of the building and grounds.

Dovecote Meadow (5)
Renting an Extra Care apartment

In the majority of cases you will need to be nominated by your local authority to rent an Extra Care apartment. You can put your name forward by contacting your local authority directly, or contacting the Extra Care court you are interested in. You can find the contact details for your local authority by using the Gov.uk local authority finder. To contact a court directly use our property search. When you rent a Housing 21 Extra Care property, you'll pay rent and a service charge for the upkeep of the building and grounds. You'll also be responsible for paying individual utility bills, contents insurance and phone bills.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size